Empire actor, Jussie Smollett finally submitted his phone records to the Chicago Police Department on Monday morning to aid investigations into a violent attack on him about two weeks ago by two yet to be unidentified men.
Cops had requested Smollett’s phone records to corroborate a call he claimed to be having with his manager Brandon Z. Moore when the attack happened.
“Phone records from Jussie’s manager were sent to police on Feb. 5 and Jussie’s records were sent over this morning. Both were sent to Chief of Staff to the Superintendent of Police Robert Boik, who confirmed receipt,” a spokesperson for the movie star said.
Smollett and Brandon allege that the 36-year-old actor was called a “f—-t” and a “n—-r” during the attack and both said they heard the words “MAGA country,” an apparent reference to President Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.
The police said they wanted the records so they could independently verify the two men’s accounts, which is needed for a criminal investigation, but Smollett had been reluctant to do that after telling police he couldn’t be without his phone for several hours.
“We have no reason to doubt the statements, but for a criminal investigation, we need to independently confirm the phone records,” Anthony Guglielmi, Chicago police spokesman told The Post on Sunday afternoon.
Smollett was accosted by two men on January 29, one wearing a black mask. They reportedly hurled gay and racist insults at him while he was walking home from a nearby Subway sandwich shop shortly before 2 a.m. The attackers allegedly punched Smollett in the face, poured liquid suspected to be bleach on his face and tied a rope around his neck.