Today, October 15, 20018 marks the 80th post-humous birthday of Nigeria’s Afrobeat legend, Fela Kuti.
The music icon apart from his great musical skill and artistry was also a powerful speaker. His statements always came from a place of deep thoughts and with his mouth, he spoke with fearlessness.
Here are some of our favourite quotes from ‘Abami Eda’ (the weird one).
1. To be spiritual is not by praying and going to church. Spiritualism is the understanding of the universe so that it can be a better place to live in.
2. Music is a spiritual thing, you don’t play with music. If you play with music you will die young. You see, because when the higher forces give you the gift of music…musicians hip, it must be well used for the gift of humanity
3. My people are scared of the air around them, they always have an excuse not to fight for freedom.
4. Music is a weapon of the future/music is the weapon of the progressives/music is the weapon of the givers of life. I want peace, happiness, not only for myself. For everybody!
5. I must identify myself with Africa. Then I will have an identity.
6. I don’t tell lies about anybody. That’s why I win all my wars.
7. With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon.
8. It would be inadmissible if I would vent my opinion publicly. Not only could I harm the artist concerned seriously because people have so much respect for me and believe in me because of my musical accomplishments. And I could also antagonize people against me because everyone has his own taste. We all make music, people can choose from that what they like. Every musician likes his own music the best, man. I don’t want to attack that. I don’t mind criticism, I can handle it, but most people can’t”
9. I hold death in my pouch, I cannot die.
10. The music of Africa is big sound: it’s the sound of a community
The post #FelaAt80: Here Are Some Quotes From The Afrobeat Legend, Fela Kuti appeared first on Nigerian Entertainment Today.