Today is international beer day. So if you’re home or at work and want to spice up your weekend, here are 25 facts about Nigeria’s number one leading beer brand.
- Star was introduced in the Nigerian market on June 2, 1949 creating the first indigenously brewed beer.
- In 1960 Star Lager was the market leader and recognizable at parties and ceremonies.
- 1n 2018, Star lager became the official beer for the Super Eagles.
- Star lager beer is brewed using the finest ingredients and techniques to ensure a smooth taste.
- Star attained market leadership in 1960, with sales of about 2,191,376 crates in 1962 and by 1975, the figures had risen to 11,266,000 crates.
- In 2007, Star took an innovative stride by introducing packaging in cans, which made it the first Nigerian beer to be canned .
- In the first year the innovative idea of CAN sold over 1.5 million trays were sold.
- In 2007, sales of Star rose tremendously to over 49 million crates, which has made STAR one of West Africa’s leading beer brands, selling more than 3 million hectoliters annually in Nigeria alone.
- In 2009 Star celebrated 60 years of sharing of ‘sharing brightness’ in the nigerian market.
- In 2009, Star decided to “paint Nigeria blue” with the BLUE FEST to commemorate 60 years of sharing brightness.
- Star Lager is consistently rejuvenating the brand in all consumer touch points i.e. packaging, communication, promotions and advertising to ensure its relevance and authority.
- Star Lager is only discharged from the brewery and put on sale only after 213 checks.
- Star has been present throughout history and will still be with us in the years to come
- Star Lager Limited Edition official bottle launched on Tuesday, June 12, 2018.
- Star Lager took five consumers to Russia in Support of the National Team.
- Star attained market leadership in 1960, with sales of about 2,191,376 crates in 1962 and by 1975, the figure had risen to 11,266,000 crates.
- Star Lager is Nigeria’s first indigenous beer brand.
- Star Lager is produced by Nigerian Breweries, the pioneer and largest brewing company in Nigeria.
- Star Lager has a love for sports and has partnered with 7 European football teams to bring the ultimate experience to fans. The teams are Arsenal, Juventus, Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germaine, Chelsea, Barcelona and Manchester City.
- Star Lager is the official beer of the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) and the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
- Star lager beer comes in other variants: Star lite and Star Radler.
- Star Lager is currently running apromo tagged ‘United We Shine Millionaires Promo’ with 400 million naira up for grabs.
- Star ‘United We Shine Millionaires Promo’ was officially launched on Friday, June 15th, 2018.
- Star lager beer was listed by the African Business magazine in its 100 Most Admired African Brands in 2015.
- It is clear that the advertising history of Star has been consistent in creating the image of Brightness, Fun, Sociability, and Best for the brand with the following campaigns:
“Ah! Star – Beer at its best” introduced in 1949
“Brightness” campaign in the 1970s and 80s,
“Turn to Star – the ideal Brew” campaign launched in 1989
“Live the Brighter Life In Style – Star Ahead on Taste” campaign in the 1990s.
“Never a Dull Moment with Star”
“Share the Brighter Life”
“Shine On Nigeria” – 2014
“Nigeria United We Shine” – 2018